Does your team plan to perform at its highest level?
In our assessment of organization cultures, we have found that very few management teams possess the critical skills for briefing and debriefing. These techniques are the foundation to sustained superior performance. Briefing and debriefing tools for conflict resolution and finding innovative solutions are the workhorses for maintaining the culture and reaching every individual in the organization over time. These concepts are so foreign to management, they need to be defined:
- Briefing: Distilling your preparations into how you are tackling the problem. Clearly communicating, understanding and agreeing to objectives ahead of time. This involves investing considerable time to organize and gain a high level of focus .
- Debriefing: Critical to continuous improvement, debriefing is a structured critique of recent performance. This approach promotes getting better each time and not repeating the same mistakes.
Briefing and debriefing are the management tools necessary to accomplish the following:
- Ensure standardization and adherence to excellence
- Realize constant process improvement and error elimination
- Communicate and execute the strategy
- Institute real-time, day-to-day teaching and learning
- Employ the critique process as a management instrument
Leaders create opportunities to brief and debrief their workgroup. They dispel “fear in the ranks” in discussing opportunities and/or problems. They prepare for the next challenge by constructively critiquing the last one. As Albert Einstein said, “We cannot expect to solve problems with the same level of thinking that created them.”
In addition to the essential management skills of briefing and debriefing, we will provide instruction to your leadership team on the following important topics:
- Implementing the plan
- Establishing an atmosphere of two-way communications
- Realizing continual process improvement at every level of the organization
- Developing high reliability organizational techniques
- Advancing resource management to a new level
Contact Us to find out more.